Sunday, May 3, 2009

More progress, and pictures!

So, it's been a few weeks. I took a long weekend this week to see if I could get some more accomplished, and it seems to have worked well.

First off: Scarfing pics, for those naysayers out there.

This is what the scarf looked like after cutting and planing...


And this is what it looked like right before the epoxy went on... (I was by myself, so no pics of the actual epoxy application.)



Last weekend I cut some stock down to have 20x20, and managed to get an "action" shot of myself doing it, with Alex's help. Also ran into town to exchange some System 3 Gel Magic that was defective, and pick up some discount clamps.


So, this weekend... what did I do? Building jig time! (For anyone interested, the knife on my hip is a Bark River Pro Scalpel II. Very handy little every day knife.)


In addition to putting the jig together, I also moved the bottom panel ply onto it, then cut out some miscellaneous 12mm pieces from the edges. You can't see it in this pic, but I've transferred the measurements from the plans to the panel. Have to wait until I have another person to hold battens for me to draw it.



Turns out that I should have bought a few more clamps last weekend. I keep hearing "You can never have enough clamps when building a boat," but I wimped out and only bought 8. Shoulda got more while they were 40% off!

That's frame 5 going together. What I now realize I should probably do is to get together all the bits and pieces that I need, whip up a batch of unthickened epoxy, and paint the mating pieces all at once. Then the next day I can come back, mix up some thickened resin, and put them together. Also, I should drill some tiny pilot holes and use nails to align them while clamping. I was a little panicked putting frame 5 together trying to line everything up. A few nails would really help with that.

And finally, last big thing that I did this weekend was that I got the stem pieces cut out!


The big problem I have now is that I want it to start looking like a boat! It's still mostly looking like a pile of cut-up plywood and oak, but at least you can see the size it will end up being via looking at the building jig.

Signing off for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment